About the Program
Over the past 35 years, NYBC's Transfusion Medicine Fellowship Program has trained more than 100 specialists in transfusion medicine. The core one-year program is ACGME-accredited and designed to train physicians interested in acquiring the competence necessary for American Board of Pathology sub-specialty certification in blood banking/ transfusion medicine. Fellows spend the year both at NYBC and at one of three partnership hospitals:
The one-year core program consists of the following formal rotations:
- Blood services, collections, regulatory affairs
- Immunohematology and Genomics Laboratory
- Hospital transfusion services
- Clinical services, therapeutic apheresis, perioperative autologous transfusion, stem cell collection
- HLA Laboratory
- Cord blood public bank
- Cellular therapy laboratory
A two-year research track is available for selected candidates interested in pursuing an academic career in transfusion medicine. The additional research track is jointly sponsored by Columbia University Department of Pathology and Cell Biology.
Candidates must possess an unrestricted active license to practice medicine in New York State and must be board eligible/certified per American Board of Pathology for the blood banking/transfusion medicine boards at the completion of the fellowship program.
- Up to four per year
- Positions no longer available for 2017.
- Positions no longer available for 2018.
- Admissions are rolling. We prefer to receive complete applications from July through September; two years prior to the intended start date (i.e. 2019 will be July 1, 2017), but will accept applications until available positions are filled. The website is updated when we have closed applications for a given year. That status may change if we have unexpected attrition, so applicants should check back if they have continued interest.
- Email us to receive an application
Meet Our Fellows
Bruce S. Sachais, MD, PhD
Executive Medical Director, New York Blood Center
Patricia Shi, MD
Medical Director, Clinical Services, New York Blood Center