The Donor Advantage Program was developed to encourage and recognize FREQUENT blood, platelet and plasma donors. Although the program requires at least one donation attempt every 13 months to keep your points active, we hope that you will make multiple donations each year to earn points, enjoy the gifts of the program and, most importantly, ensure that we always have an ample blood, platelet and plasma supply for patients in need.
Select a link below to view questions and answers by topic.
- Donor Advantage Program Questions
How does the Advantage program work?
Simple. Each time you donate blood, platelets or plasma you not only save lives, you earn points. When you accumulate at least 800 points, you can go online to redeem your points for a variety of gifts or you can donate your points to select charitable organizations.
How many points do I earn for each donation?
- 50 points for a Whole Blood donation
- 150 points for an Automated Red Cell donation (Alyx)
- 25 bonus points for donations made at a Donor Center
- 125 Points for a Single Platelet donation
- 50 Additional Points for a Double Platelet donation
- 125 Additional Points for a Triple Platelet donation
- 50 Additional Points for a Single Platelet + Red Cell combo donation
- 75 Additional Points for a Double Platelet + Red Cell combo donation
- 50 Additional Points for a Platelet + Plasma combo donation
- 75 Additional Points for a Double Platelet + Plasma combo donation
- 75 Additional Points for Platelet donations made on Saturday, Sunday and Monday
- 50 Additional Points for Platelet donations made on Friday
- 75 Points for a Plasma donation
How do I redeem points for a gift?
Easy. Browse our Online Gift Catalogueand login using your email address, birth date and password. This is the same password you use to schedule appointments on our webpage www.nybloodcenter.org. From here you’ll see your point balance and the gifts available.
Do my points ever expire?
If you do not make any donations for a 13 month period you will forfeit all remaining Advantage points. This requirement will be waived while any donor is temporarily or permanently deferred from donating blood.
What can I get with my points?
Your Advantage points are redeemable for a wide variety of gifts. Browse our Online Gift Catalogueto view what is available today. Gifts are always changing based on availability.
Can I donate my points to charitable organizations?
Yes, whenever you donate blood, you always have the thanks of grateful patients who receive your products. If you’d like your donation to do a double good, visit the Charitable Organizations page and select the option to donate your points to a charitable organization. You may donate as few as 500 points. Thank you!
When will I get my gift?
After your order is placed, your gift will be mailed to you within 2-4 weeks. If you have any questions about your order status, contact our Concierge hotline: 1-800-933-BLOOD (2566).