Avital Mendelson, PhD
Head, Stem Cell Biology & Engineering Research Program
Assistant Member, Lindsley F. Kimball Research Institute
Phone: (212) 570-3463
My laboratory focuses on investigating methods for expanding blood products ex-vivo. We are developing cutting-edge tools to model hematological processes that occur both in healthy individuals and in patients with hematological diseases and bloodborne pathogen infections. Additionally, we are interested in understanding how the hematopoietic stem cell microenvironment is affected under conditions of hematological malignancy.
Ana Nicolle Strat, MS, Research Assistant
Georgia Fallon, Volunteer
Sophie Ohrn, Volunteer
David Shi, BS, Volunteer
- National Blood Foundation, Early-Career Scientific Research Grants Program, 7/2018-7/2020
- NIH R21HL139695 PI: Mendelson 08/07/2018 - 06/30/2020 “A model niche system to expand platelets for transfusion”
Education and Training
PhD, Biomedical Engineering, Columbia University, New York, NY
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1. Liu Y, Jing F, Yi F, Mendelson A, Shi P, Walsh R, Friedman DF, Minniti C, Manwani D, Chou ST, and Yazdanbakhsh K. HO-1hi Patrolling Monocytes Protect against Vaso-occlusion in Sickle Cell Disease. Blood. 2018, Apr 5;131(14):1600-1610.
2. Khan JA, Mendelson A, Kunisaki Y, Kou Y, Arnal A, Pinho A, Ciero P, Nakahara F, Ma’ayan A, Bergman A, Merad M and Frenette PS. Fetal liver hematopoietic stem cell niches associate with portal vessels. Science. 2016 Jan 8; 351(6269) 176-80.
3. Mendelson A and Frenette P. Hematopoietic stem cell niche maintenance during homeostasis and Regeneration. Nature Medicine. 2014. 20(8): 833-846.
4. Mizoguchi T, Ahmed J, Kunisaki Y, Pinho S, Mendelson A, Ono N, Kronenberg HM, Frenette PS. Osterix marks distinct waves of primitive and definitive stromal progenitors during bone marrow development. Developmental Cell. 2014. May 12: 29(3): 340-9.
5. Mendelson A, Ahn JM, Paluch K, Embree MC, Mao JJ. Engineered nasal cartilage by cell homing: A model for augmentative and reconstructive rhinoplasty. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2014, June; 133(6): 1344-53.
6. Mendelson A, Cheung YK, Paluch K, Chen M, Kong K, Tan J, Dong Z, Sia SK, Mao JJ. Competitive Stem Cell Recruitment by Multiple Cytotactic Cues. Lab on a Chip. 2013, March 21, 13(6): 1156-64.
7. Nie H, Lee CH, Tan J, Lu C, Mendelson A, Chen M, Embree MC, Kong K, Shah B, Wang S, Cho S, Mao JJ. Musculoskeletal tissue engineering by endogenous stem/progenitor cells. Cell & Tissue Research. 2012 Mar, 347 (3): 665-76.
8. Embree MC, Mendelson A, Lu C, Lee CH, Mao JJ. Regeneration: endogenous stem cells vs. transplanted stem cells. Biomaterials and Regenerative Medicine. Ma P (Ed). Cambridge University Press, 2012.
9. Mendelson A, Frank E, Allred C, Jones E, Chen M, Zhao W, Mao JJ. Chondrogenesis by chemotactic homing of synovium, bone marrow, and adipose stem cells in vitro. FASEB J, 2011. Oct; 25(10):3496-504.
10. Mendelson A, Lee CH, Mao JJ. Cartilage Regeneration With and Without Cell Transplantation. Stem Cell Bioengineering and Tissue Engineering Microenvironment. Prakash S, Shum-Tim D (Eds). World Scientific Publishing, 2011. 339-350.
11. Lee CH, Cook JL, Mendelson A, Moioli EK, Yao H, Mao JJ. Regeneration of the articular surface of the rabbit synovial joint by cell homing: a proof of concept study. Lancet, 2010. Aug 7; 376(9739):440-8.
12. Albrecht DR, Underhill GH, Resnikoff J, Mendelson A, Bhatia SN, Shah JV. Microfluidics-integrated time-lapse imaging for analysis of cellular dynamics. Integr Biol (Camb). 2010 June; 2(5-6):278-87.
13. Mendelson A, Lee CH, Mao JJ. Cartilage regeneration by cell homing. 3-D Tissue Engineering. Yarmush ML, Langer RS (Eds). Artech House, 2009
14. Albrecht DR, Underhill GH, Mendelson A, Bhatia SN. Multiphase electropatterning of cells and biomaterials. Lab Chip. 2007 June; 7(6):702-9.