Because the blood you have donated with New York Blood Center shows that you have not been exposed to cytomegalovirus (CMV), we want to let you know about an important clinical study that may be of interest to you.
Now open in the following New Jersey locations:
- New Jersey – Newark and Secaucus
- New York – New York City (Manhattan)
CMV is a human herpesvirus (HHV-5) that can infect people of all ages and usually causes a lifelong infection with minimal or no symptoms. However, CMV can cause major health problems in some individuals, such as babies whose mothers become infected with CMV during pregnancy and people who have had organ transplants.
CMV is the leading infectious cause of birth defects such as hearing loss, neurological disabilities like motor and cognitive impairment, vision loss, and cerebral palsy. There is currently no vaccine available for the prevention of CMV.
About the Study
Conducted by a biomedical health leader, the purpose of this clinical study is to understand how the body responds to different doses of an investigational vaccine that may protect against CMV.
What is Involved:
- Participants will receive a total of 3 doses of investigational vaccine (or placebo) as an injection in the upper arm—once at the beginning of the study, then at 2 and 6 months
- Participants will be followed for safety one year after the last dose, approximately 18 months in total
- Participants will receive financial compensation for their time and travel
- Trial-related procedures and study vaccine will be provided at no cost
- Must be age 18-50 and generally healthy
- Do not need insurance to join the study
- Must be willing to undergo a physical examination and consent to giving blood samples
- Must be willing to defer donating blood for a period of time
For more information, contact the site closest to you today!*
*Be sure to mention you are an NYBC blood donor interested in learning more about the CMV study.
Please note that NYBC is not a participating study site. All inquiries should be directed to the participating CMV study sites listed below:
Circuit Clinical/Riverside Medical Group
38 Meadowlands Parkway
Secaucus, NJ 07094
North Jersey Community Research Initiative (NJCRI)
393 Central Avenue
Newark, New Jersey 07103
[email protected] Direct line: 917-640-9447
Clinical studies like this CMV study hosted by biomedical leader GSK help scientists develop lifechanging medicines. These advances in medicine would not be possible without the valued contribution of those who volunteer to participate in clinical studies.
Please note that NYBC is not a participating study site nor a sponsor of this study. All inquiries should be directed to the participating CMV study sites listed. Please do not contact NYBC with questions about this study.